Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How often DOES one post comments?/Homemade Yogurt & Granola

So, how often does one post comments on their blog? You know, I should really go read some blogs. I've always been lazy in the research department. Funny coming from a former scientist... I was just thinking how mesmerizing this Curious George DVD is and it made me want to get up and type something.

I was thinking I'd share my latest cooking obsession with you: Homemade Yogurt. So easy and so delicious. When I became a Mom I had grand thoughts of eating healthy and only MAKING the best for my kids. Well, that thought never really materialized. My 6 yr old's fave foods include the local Chinese buffet and Mac-n-Cheese from the box. Don't even TRY to get her to eat mac-n-cheese that I made. And I'm a good cook! But, I digress.

So, back to the yogurt. Last winter, I thought, how hard could it be? I have a bakery in my home (yet another post), yogurt should be easy; and it is! First, if you're a yogurt fan I think you'll really like this. Second, if you're not a yogurt fan, you should try this. It's not like the commercial store bought containers. So here's what you do:

Homemade Yogurt:
You will need a crockpot, milk, and some PLAIN Dannon or Stoneybrook Farms yogurt. I have made this in my large (regular size) crockpot, but I prefer the small 2 qt one. For the 2 qt crockpot, pour 4 cups of milk in. I use skim milk because that's what we drink and always have on hand, and it wouldn't be nearly as handy and easy to make if I had to run to the store. I hear that whole milk is easier for beginners, but I have never had a problem with the skim milk. If you'd like, you can add some powdered milk (you'll have to play with the amount) to your 4 cups in the crockpot and that will help thicken it if you desire. Personally, I'd wait and make a batch and see how things turned out. So now turn your crockpot on low and leave for 3 hours. After 3 hours, turn off the crockpot and let it sit for 2 hours. Next, remove 1-2 cups of warm milk and mix it with a 1/2 cup of the plain yogurt. At this point, if you'd like to try vanilla yogurt, add a tablespoon or so of vanilla. You can also add 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar, or you can make perfectly plain yogurt and just add fruit and or honey when you're ready to eat it. After whisking the milk, yogurt starter, vanilla and sugar, pour back into the crockpot and whisk all together. Turn crockpot on low again for about 30 mins. Then turn off and unplug the crockpot. Wrap it thoroughly with towels. You want to insulate it and keep as much warmth in as possible. Now let it sit on the counter for 8-12 hours. You can eat it right away, or put it in the fridge first. You will notice that quite a bit of liquid forms after being in the fridge. If you want to get fancy, you can strain this through cheesecloth. I just scoop off the excess liquid. I do it each time I take a serving out to eat. It doesn't hurt anything, it just makes it not as firm. Be sure to save about a half cup of this so you can make your next batch.

So, I am sure you noticed that this takes awhile. If you're not home during the day like me, you can speed things up by scalding the milk on the stove; let it cool, then add the yogurt starter, vanilla, and sugar. At this point you can pour into your crockpot and follow the rest of the directions. That will eliminate the first 5 hours.

To top this off, you really need to serve your yogurt with the Homemade Granola you made while you were waiting. Another super simple delicious recipe.

Easy Granola:
2 cups whole oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs real maple syrup
1 Tbs water
3 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 275F. Spray a non-stick metal pan (aka cookie sheet with edges) with cooking spray.

Mix dry ingredients and set aside.

In a saucepan, simmer honey, syrup, oil, and water. Turn off heat and add the vanilla. Mix well. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Press into the pan. Use the bottom of a glass, sprayed with cooking spray, to press the granola down. This makes it stick better and give you larger pieces. Bake 30-45 mins, until golden brown. Let cool and then break apart and eat!

Okay, now I expect you (Holly-since I know you read the first two posts) to go try this. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment