Thursday, March 31, 2011

Roasted Beets

The other night we had roasted beets for dinner. Until recently, (like this week), I thought beets were really, and I mean, really, DISGUSTING! But, know what? They are actually really good! You see, all my life the only beets I had ever been offered (or made to eat), were pickled. Bleck! I don't like anything pickled (not even pickles), so why would I like beets pickled? Hmm, seems like a reasonable question. So, when I saw that beets would be in my produce bin this week, I decided to find a recipe that I might actually like. Since then, I've learned that other folks have discovered that beets are tasty too. So, if you are like me and have never tried beets that aren't pickled, I encourage you to try this recipe out.

SIDEBAR:
Speaking of my produce bin, if you live in my neck of the Central Iowa woods, you should check out Prudent Produce. I recently discovered them and have been so pleased to receive fresh, organic fruits and vegetables on my doorstep each Monday afternoon. The girls and I, and especially our kitten, LOVE to open the bin and see what goodies lay inside (my kitten's fave part is to actually get IN the bin--even more fun if we close the lid on him). I've made it my mission to eat EVERYTHING in that bin within the week, and to try most of the offerings. (Though when Bell Peppers are on the menu, I must reject those. That's one vegetable that I have never learned to like. )

Okay, on with the beets.... Well let's just get to the photos, shall we? I settled on roasted beets for my first try. Simple, just a few ingredients. My kind of recipe. You'll need some olive oil, salt, beets of course, a cookie sheet, and aluminum foil. (Oh, and heat the oven to 375 degrees F)

Then you'll want to wash the beets. Now I've read conflicting stories on this, but I opted to wash them, since mine were pretty muddy. (Some folks say not to wash them , as the moisture will steam the beets instead of roasting them--so I guess you decide. You will be peeling them before eating)

 As you can see, I just trimmed the bottom tap root off and the greens. Save the greens. You can cook these up like spinach. Throw the greens in a pan with some melted butter and saute with a little sea salt. I like to serve with scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Lay the prepped beets on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with sea salt.
Wrap the beets up in the foil and bake for 30-60 mins. The baking time really depends on the size and how fresh your beets are. Mine took about an hour to bake, but start checking at 30 minutes. They should be tender, like a carrot or potato, when pricked with a fork.

When they are done, remove from oven, open foil wrap, and let cool until you can handle them. On this next step gloves are optional. I chose to wear them. I didn't want purple fingers for a week (though the color is truly lovely). And, since I do have a licensed bakery here at the homestead, (I am required to wear gloves when decorating cakes), I always have a box on hand.

When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel off the outer skin. This will come off super easy. Then just slice, sprinkle with sea salt, and serve. Roasted beets taste like a wonderful, earthy combination of potatoes and carrots. I think you'll really like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment