Saturday, March 26, 2011

Felt Flower Garland

Right after Thanksgiving I decided to make a Holiday garland for my fireplace mantel. Instead of the usual red and green Christmas choices, I decided on blues, since that's my favorite and would go best with my decor. I saw a photo of these in a magazine. Hmm, it must have been either Country Living or Better Homes & Gardens (I'm sure it was one of those). Anyway, it looked simple enough, so I happily took the girls over to Michael's and picked out several shades of blue. I cut out each color in several different sizes. In order to make these flowers, you need two colors per flower; 5 large ovals (all same color) and 5 smaller ovals (also all same color), but of course, the large and small ovals should not be the same color.  Here's a look at the ovals:


You really only need, maybe, three pieces of felt in each color, because you can cut a lot of ovals from each piece; and you can control the size you make them. We even made some tiny ones from the scraps. Once these were cut out, it was just a matter of layering the two different sizes and running a few stitches back and forth over the bottom to form a petal.


Once you have the first one done, just continue on with the next four. When all five are sewn together, you just need to connect the first and fifth together. This can be a little tricky, because you want to be sure to make the flower point downward, and to have the petals lay evenly.

 Here's the first completed flower. Now to make a bunch more and string them together!


Here's a close up of the finished product. It even matched PERFECTLY to the candles a friend made for me! 
So, now you have plenty of time to run down to the craft store and pick up felt in your favorite spring time or Easter colors and make a garland to enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! I would love to make one, I just have to decide colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy, but looks so good. It's a fun one to do when just hanging out with a friend or watching tv. Don't those candles match perfectly?! Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete