Friday, September 17, 2010

Bountiful garden

Oh my! It's been two weeks since I posted an update on how things are at our house. Mostly I haven't posted because we were off traipsing around Washington state, enjoying the gorgeous scenery and raw milk they, (legally), have to offer! Oohh, what fun! This photo is what my parents get to look at every day out their windows. It's a gorgeous view of Mt. Baker. Tough, isn't it?
 
  
  
So, while I was gone, I was thinking about food. Hmm, now that I think about it, I'm always thinking about food. Anyway, the pacific northwest, well, and California too, have some great food opportunities. I really love it that raw milk is legal there. (I know I already mentioned it). There are several coops are in town and everybody shops there! It's awesome. One of the things we did while visiting was to attend a farm-hop. We 'hopped' around to several local farms to visit their orchards, cutting flowers, and beloved animals (both meat and dairy). Lots of fun and a beautiful day. By the way, and for the record, I have never seen roosters on a leash... So, when I came home I was excited to see what my garden had to offer after almost two weeks away. (Thanks, honey, for cutting off the sunflower seed heads. Can't wait to try the seeds!) And here it is: A couple gigantic cucumbers, squash, tomatoes,  chili peppers, a handful of raspberries (which my 3 year old promptly ate), and our 'accidental' potatoes, which I instructed said 3 year old to dig up.

Not bad for two weeks. Our first attempt at a large garden has gone really well, in spite of all the rain we've had this year. Rainiest on record I believe. In my quest to eat all that we grow, I cooked up the teensy potatoes for dinner this evening, along with some homemade, raw butter and sea salt, which accompanied the chicken I cooked (straight from the pastures of Iowa to my freezer). Mmm, fresh cantaloupe too. Then, only after the kids were in bed, I had the last scoop of (homemade, yes, I know) chocolate ice cream and a scoop of peanut butter ice cream (yeah, homemade too), with some chocolate sauce (no, I didn't make that, but I'd be willing to try). Shhh. Don't tell the girls.

I'm thinking tomorrow I should make some salsa and can it. I've got 20 lbs of pears to can as well. I think I'm going to be busy this weekend. Tomorrow I shall do my best to discuss my pickle experience, or maybe cinnamon bread. Or, I suppose I could share my ice cream recipes. Geez, see what happens when I go away? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment